Sunday, May 6, 2012

Going Backward (ENTRY 3)

In my previous post, I have talked about Scence 5 and Scene 7 from Act 1 because I was eager to know about Lady Macbeth. I have skipped scene 3, 4, and 6 thinking that they should be boring. I wasn't so interested in other characters. Now that I have the help from No Fear Shakespeare from Sparknotes with original text and modern text side by side, I actually started reading Act 1 again from the beginning to the end. I have found some lines that arouse my curiosity. Some of these lines are not even being emphasized in the notes that I have. So, the analysis I'll make and type it out after this is really based on my genuine feelings.

Act 1, Scene 3
MACBETH, "Two truths are told,/As happy prologues to the swelling act/Of the imperial theme.../This supernatural soliciting/Cannot be ill, cannot be good. If ill,/Why hath it given me earnest of success,/Commencing in a truth? I am thane of Cawdor./If good, why do I yield to that suggestion/Whose horrid image doth unfix my hair/And make my seated heart knock at my ribs,/Against the use of nature?/Present fears/Are less than horrible imaginings..."

Macbeth has some serious thought about the witches prophecy which has come true that he has become Thane of Glamis and Thane of Cawdor. He is unsure whether he should trust the witches' prophecy. If it's a bad thing, why does the promotion come true? If it's a good thing, why is he thinking of murdering the King? He is aware of his horrible thought. A real fear is less frightening than what is in his mind now which is murdering King Duncan and becomes a king himself. I wonder whether Macbeth would have the thought of killing the king if the witches never appear. He may be satisfied with the promotion he has and continues to be loyal to the king. And what is the intention of the witches? They appear to be very evil. Telling Macbeth the prophecy that he will become a King actually prones him to have the thought of murdering the king. If what the witches say are all true, he does not have to kill King Duncan to become a king. So, why does he have such thought? I guess he has tasted the sweetness of being promoted. To ensure that he will also be the King, he has to make sure the current king is dead. Knowing the fact that he kills the king is the most secure way rather than waiting for the day to come for him to become a king. Macbeth is an interesting character to be explored. He was praised for his courage and loyalty and appeared to be a good man to the readers in previous scenes. His sudden change in scene 3 shocks me.

Act 1, Scene 4
Another shocking lines from Macbeth, "The prince of Cumberland! That is a step,/On which I must fall down, or else o'erleap,/For in my way it lies. Stars, hide your fires;/Let not light see my black and deep desires./The eye wink at the hand, yet let that be/Which the eye fears, when it is done, to see." He feels threatened that Malcolm is the prince of Cumberland. It's an obstacle that stop him from becoming a king. He wants to hide his terrible desires and won't allow his eye to look at what his hand is doing and he is going to do the thing that even he himself is horrified of. Those are very powerful lines. Macbeth himself is horrified of his own desires of murdering King Duncan and becoming a king himself. Not allowing his eye to look at his hand suggests that he has doubt or fear in committing the murder. Therefore, he has to shut his eyes from looking at the act of killing but his hands won't stop from doing the act. Of course, in later scenes I know that he is incapable of committing the murder. But I'm impressed by his strong desires in Scene 3 and 4.


Act 1, Scene 6
BANQUO, "This guest of summer,/The temple-haunting martlet, does approve,/By his loved mansionry, that the heaven’s breath/
Smells wooingly here. No jutty, frieze,/Buttress, nor coign of vantage, but this bird/Hath made his pendant bed and procreant cradle./Where they most breed and haunt, I have observed,/The air is delicate."
The modern translation will be: "The fact that this summer bird, the house martin, builds his nests here proves how inviting the breezes are. There isn’t a single protrusion in the castle walls where these birds haven’t built their hanging nests to sleep and breed. I’ve noticed that they always like to settle and mate where the air is the nicest." I definitely think that this is a foreshadow. It's such a wonderful castle. And the birds who stay in the castle are the proof. But Macbeth's evil thought contradicts with his nice castle. It is a disguise that something evil is going to happen. King Duncan, a rather weak character in my opinion, appears to be innocent and naive is unaware of anything and suspects nothing.


LADY MACBETH, "All our service,/In every point twice done and then done double,/Were poor and single business to contend/Against those honors deep and broad wherewith/Your majesty loads our house. For those of old,/And the late dignities heaped up to them,/We rest your hermits." What a skillful lady in her speech which has underlying meanings. She welcomes the King as a guest with gratitude for the honour he has given before and the new honour he has just given. This is the modern translation. I sense double meanings in the word 'honour'. The king presents himself in the castle is the best time to kill him and his death will 'honour' Macbeth as the king. Lady Macbeth's insincerity but skillful speech is another foreshadow of King Duncan's death.

Even though I have known the story line but it is still exciting to read scenes by scenes to find out the interesting lines spoken by the characters. It is because of the language used which appears to be an obstacle for me to continue reading, so I have to seek help by using various sources before reading the original text. Reading Shakespeare's works needs different kind of strategy. Keep 'barking' at the original text and let myself being demotivated is definitely not a good strategy. Seeking help is necessary but doing own analysis and having own insights are also important. I have the notes with analysis. It helps me with my understanding but I won't allow it to dictate my very own interpretation. Those lines that I have quoted in this post are not quoted in the notes I have. And I find myself not referring to the notes much, but I do need the modern translation. All my help so far comes from Sparknotes. I have the printed notes that have summary and analysis of the scenes. For the modern text, I refer it online together with my novel. I don't really bother about the original text at the left side since I have the book. Modern text is at the right side. I highlight the lines in my own book. Sometimes, I do make some notes.

1 comment: